For detailed trail conditions, go to the specific activity on the menu to your left.
Trail Passes and Registrations
Go to Go Wild Wisconsin or to these direct links:
WI Residents – Your ATV/UTV must be registered in Wisconsin; a Trail Pass is NOT required.
Visitors – Your ATV/UTV must be registered somewhere; a Non-resident Trail Pass IS required.
The extensive system of trails in Bayfield County - both motorized and non-motorized - make it one of the premier destinations in the Midwest. Every season offers opportunities to get outside and experience nature’s beauty!
For detailed information on trails and trail conditions, see links on the sidebar.
- ATV / UTV - There are over 168 miles of trails and many more miles of road routes in Bayfield County. There are always changes to the trail system, so follow the signs! ATV/UTV maps are available at area businesses or contact us for your copy.
- Biking -
Road biking: With over 800 miles of paved roads and not one traffic light, Bayfield County is a great place to ride. Did we mention the beauty, the rolling hills and views of Lake Superior and the National Forest? The North Coast Cycling Association (NCCA) is a great resource for information on scenic rides throughout the region. Order a 2-county Bike Map for suggested rides (see menu on left - "Order a Map").
Mountain biking: If you’d rather ride off-road, the CAMBA trail system is one of the best in the nation - literally! Great riding for fat bikes, too.
- Dogsledding - Interested in trying dog sledding (mushing)? Area outfitters Wolfsong Adventures in Mushing offer day trips and overnight trips to the public. Our snow is good for mushing from mid-December to late March most years.
- Hiking - Miles and miles of federal, state, county, and local hiking trails lead you through natural beauty that will renew your spirit and refresh your senses. There are 38 hiking trails in Bayfield County which are detailed in this brochure (PDF).
- Horseback Riding - There are plenty of places available for horseback riding. The Horseshoe Lake Saddle Trail even has an equestrian-friendly campground at Horseshoe Lake.
- Ski - Come try one of our many cross country ski trails – we have plenty to choose from – or hit the slopes at Mt. Ashwabay for some downhill fun!
- Snowmobile - We have over 600 miles of groomed trails and over 1000 miles of ungroomed forest roads for your riding pleasure.
Have a smartphone? Download the Avenza app (free) and get the Bayfield County Snowmobile Map, ATV/UTV Map, or Highway Map on your device before you hit the trails - it will allow you to locate yourself on the trail map with GPS so you can see where you are!